The boy"s mother, Brittany Carey, explained what happened to her kid in a June 29 Facebook post. Follow to Carey, her boy was swim in the Sinepuxent Bay simply north the the take care of Kelley Memorial Bridge between West ocean City and downtown.
"He walk swimming and was having actually a an excellent time until around Monday evening when I began noticing little spots arising all over his body," Carey wrote. "Tuesday morning over there were open up wounds developing but I had thought he was scratching them, making lock worse."
Carey said in the article Thursday, June that medical professionals at Peninsula regional Medical center diagnosed it as a Vibrio infection.
As of Tuesday, Carey"s post has been shared 17,000 times throughout Facebook.
You are watching: Flesh eating bacteria ocean city md
Vibriosis and also other bacterial infections the infect world in body of water isn"t simply a Maryland seaside concern.
Cases have actually been reported up and down the east seaboard. Over there was also a woman infected in Florida in June.
Lynn Fleming, 77, to be walking on the coast at Anna Maria Island in Florida once she fell and also cut herself. She said Fox 13 in Tampa she had a "Little three-quarters-inch cut" on she leg.
Fleming"s condition worsened in a pair of days bring about her incident where she dropped unconscious at she home. She was rushed come the hospital whereby she was later diagnosed v necrotizing fasciitis.
Who is many at-risk because that Vibrio?
According to the facility for disease Control and Prevention, there are roughly 80,000 situations of vibriosis each year, 52,000 that those coming from eat contaminated food, such as oysters.
More:What you need to know about Vibrio to stay safe
More: In 2017-2018,five in Jersey patients ill — and also one man died — of flesh-eating bacteria in Delaware Bay
Vibrio bacteria is a naturally arising organism that have the right to be found in seaside waterways, according to the CDC.
Eighty percent the those instances come in between May and also October every year because of warmth waters. Most civilization who room contract vibriosis recuperate in about three days. But those who get sick v Vibrio vulnificus, can become seriously ill.
In part cases, Vibrio Vulnificus can require extensive medical treatment and amputation, and also for about one in five instances can be deadly.
The CDC recommends human being don"t eat undercooked or raw shellfish, like oysters. Those through cuts or wounds should likewise stay far from salt or brackish water or cover their wounds v waterproof bandages prior to swimming.
The Maryland department of wellness says Vibrio can be found in the Chesapeake Bay and also waterways around it. World with weakened immune systems or who have liver condition are more at risk for contracting serious situations of Vibrio.
The state office recommends individuals bring hand sanitizer come clean wounds in instance they take place while in the water. People are additionally recommended to shower after any contact with "natural waters."
More:She died of flesh-eating bacteria after Florida trip. Her family members wants to warn others
More:Meet the Delaware male who made it through Vibrio vulnificus
Vibrio have the right to infect people in multiple ways, stated Debra Stevens, manager of ar health and emergency preparedness for the Worcester County health Department.
Humans deserve to either ingest Vibrio-infected shellfish or come to be sick through breaks in their skin.
Stevens claimed if people ingest Vibrio, it can take 12-72 hrs for symptoms to present themselves. After ~ that, human being may feeling nauseous, and experience diarrhea or vomiting.
"If you currently have an open wound, if Vibrio gets right into that wound then it can cause an additional infection," Stevens said. "It can make the wound get larger, gain red, you frequently may have fever, stomach ache. It"s walk to obtain red and also infected-looking."
Steven claimed Vibrio bacteria is a natural part of the ecosystem and, in the same way people safeguard themselves from ticks, the very same is necessary to be safe from Vibrio.
"The most recent data we have listed is native 2017, and in Worcester County, there to be one situation of Vibrio the was reported and around 66 across the entire state so it"s not very common," Stevens said.
Vibrio doesn"t constantly cause infection
There is some study going on right into Vibrio, according to Robert Mitchell, director of the environment programs department because that Worcester County. He claimed studying the bacteria may help people know what causes it to epidemic people, what boosts people"s risks and also how it moves throughout the environment.
He added, "I would certainly caution that visibility does not equate come infection," Mitchell said.
Roman Jesien, science coordinator because that the Maryland seaside Bays Program, says every one of the different strains the Vibrio deserve to be found in Maryland seaside waters.
"We do have Vibrio and also we have actually a number of strains that are taken into consideration flesh-eating," Jesien said. "We discover them frequently in low numbers, but they are present as with sharks are current in our coastal waters — therefore it"s just part of the system."
Jesien said world should be cognizant the the bacteria in the water but that shouldn"t prevent them. He claimed beachgoers need to use common sense with bandaging up cuts or sores, but it"s something the shouldn"t stop world from walk in the water.
Editor"s note: The next section that the post contains images that some readers may discover graphic.
"It is unusual that we do have actually a real big issues with sores. We had a pair years earlier a gentleman dice up in Assawoman Bay, and just recently, we had actually a small boy that ns understand had Vibrio," Jesien said.
More:Ocean City flesh-eating bacteria death: "A fear movie"
More:As Delaware coastal waters warm, danger of fatal bacteria rises
Jesien is referring to the case of Michael Funk, that contracted Vibrio once he was cleaning a crab pot top top Sept. 11, 2016, in the s City area.
With-in 36 hrs of his symptoms very first appearing, Funk died. He had actually been cure at Atlantic general Hospital in Berlin, Maryland, where medical professionals removed the flesh from his knee to his ankle. He was then flown come the university of Maryland’s R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma center in Baltimore, wherein his leg amputated. However the epidemic had already reached his bloodstream and organs.
See more: How To Get Rid Of Keloid On Nose Piercing Bump, How To Get Rid Of A Nose Piercing Bump Fast!
He died Sept. 15, 2016.
There have additionally been multiple instances of Vibrio further north in new Jersey in years past.In 2017 and 2018, there were 5 different cases in i m sorry individuals came to be seriously ill.
Of the five south Jersey cases, one person was eliminated by the bacteria. Four of the instances came native crab fishing in the Delaware Bay, however a fifth got sick due to the fact that of contaminated seafood.
In the much more recent case, Carey says in her write-up her child is doing much better after obtaining treated because that the infection.
"I recognize we"ve all checked out these instances in the Delaware bay yet now my little guy gained this from gift in the bay appropriate by Hoopers," Carey wrote. "Please be cautious out there guys and also if you start seeing wounds such as these, please acquire somewhere fast!"
My name is Matthew Prensky and I serve as the ocean City news reporter for Delmarva Now. My stories emphasis on business, government and community concerns for ocean City and also the remainder of Worcester County. I save doing what I perform every day because of her support. If girlfriend subscribe, give thanks to you. If not, and you desire to watch me unearth more stories, subscribe to Delmarva now today.
She died of flesh-eating bacteria after ~ a coast trip. Currently her family members wants to warn rather "Flesh-eating bacteria": What you should know around Vibrio to stay safe Flesh-eating bacteria creeps into Delaware Bay, Cooper researcher warn "Flesh-eating bacteria" case: meet the Delaware male who survived Vibrio vulnificus Warnings lag in Mid-Atlantic together deadly naval bacteria boosts threat in summer